Featuring 150 topical cartoons about life, love and culture clash in China, this hilarious satirical dictionary sends up many of the ironies, delights, and cultural and linguistic mix-ups that are immediately recognizable to anyone who has spent any time at all in the Middle Kingdom.
CHINESE from ÁI to ZÌ
This best-selling dictionary has been amusing and enlightening Chinese learners since 1986. Learning Chinese hasn’t gotten any easier, so AIEEYAAA! has been updated from front to back for 2016 and beyond.
Like no other Chinese dictionary on the planet:
- MANDARIN and CANTONESE translations for every word.
- TRADITIONAL and SIMPLIFIED Chinese characters.
- 150 cartoons to make sure you
neverforget a word.
- Extended introduction which dares to tell the truth about the trials and tribulations of learning Chinese.
- Useful tips about cross-cultural miscommunication.
Read Sample Pages
- Chinese Writing: Excerpt from the Introduction.
- Aieeyaaa: The most essential word in the Chinese language.
- Compliment: Things have different meanings in English and Chinese.
- Herbal medicine: Epitome of bad taste.
- Learn: Why you should give up now.
- Rude: Believe it or not, such a concept exists.
- Umbrella: Not referring to yellow ones, unfortunately.
- Yes: Simple word, not so simple meaning.